Thursday, March 25, 2010

A nice day

Just in case my last post mislead people to believe that I really turned 29 today, I actually turned 31. Which officially makes me a "30-something mommy blogger". I am okay with that, really. I just act like my age bothers me because my husband, who is two years younger than me, likes to tease me about it. So I play along with his jokes about how I am going to be a bald old hunchback with no teeth while he will still be in his prime. Well, maybe that's not exactly his wording, but something along those lines.

We did have a very nice day today. I spent the whole morning finishing up my big translation project, which could have waited until tomorrow but I was eager to get it off my desk. The document I was translating was a 150-page class action suit filed in connection with Bernie Madoff and his investment scheme. Boy oh boy, the love of money truly is the root of all evil. Of course, what he got in trouble for is pretty much the same thing that all these bankers and the government do - pushing around numbers of fictitious money, only difference is that he is sitting in prison for life for it.

In the meantime, my husband played with the kids, taught Solomon and Isaac some basics of playing the harmonica, and fed them lunch. I got done around 2 pm, and we headed out for my free Starbucks and the free dozen doughnuts at Krispy Kreme, where we were joined by a sweet lady from our church and her adorable little baby girl. Talk about sugar overkill. I had a few sips of my drink and one doughnut, and it about satisfied my sugar quota for the next month. The kids of course were loving it. I took tons of pictures with my new Nikon digital SLR, one of the gifts from my husband (that he actually gave me last month). I'm not a great photographer, and I definitely don't have time to touch up all my photos in photoshop, but I am looking forward to getting back into this old hobby of mine that I gave up when the babies started arriving.


Becky is wearing a very cute little dress that a young teenage girl in our church hand-sewed for her. She made another identical one for Miriam, too, only it's bigger. They both love the dresses!




Smiling pictures of my camera-shy husband. I was thinking how much his mom would love these when I took them.





Becky was making a funny face because she knew I was taking her picture.

After leaving Krispy Kreme, in spite of the fact that my husband had already showered me with gifts and flowers, he wanted to take me to buy a new dress as a special treat. Mind you, I only ever buy our clothes from the thrift store, and maybe once a year or less make an exception if I find a great deal at the outlet mall. I never ever shop at department stores or the mall. My husband, on the other hand, works at a lot of really upscale and fancy stores for his fire alarm business, so he decided to take me to Anthropologie for a special treat.

Let's just say the store is nothing like what I remembered it to be from the first (and only) time I have ever been there five years ago, when I accompanied my husband on a work trip. It was just way too trendy for me, but even if it had been my style, the prices were laughable. Come on, who in their right mind shells out that kind of money on CLOTHES??? They were also selling an old, rusty, metal shop rack from Michelin that cost $4,500, and a huge, worm-eaten, dilapidated hutch that was leaning to one side and looked like it was about to fall over for $20,000. Looking back, I wish I would have taken a picture. I was trying not to hurt my husband's feelings by laughing too much, since this was his idea, but I don't think this was what he was looking for, either.

Then, we stopped by Coldwater Creek, in the same strip mall. Better clothing style to be sure, but again, the prices were crazy. The fact that all the other customers in there were elderly ladies didn't add to the store's appeal in my husband's eyes. I just bought a brand-new pair of sandals from Coldwater Creek at the thrift store this week for $6, which is a far cry from their store prices.

Back in the car I told my husband that if he still felt like shopping, I would really like to go the Savers that we were close to, which is so far from the house I rarely ever go there. He entertained the kids in the book and toy sections while I found 4 absolutely fabulous skirts, 4 matching tops, a bunch of clothes for Miriam and the other kids, and a few miscellaneous books and things. The total came out to be around $50, which would barely have paid for a handkerchief on sale at the other stores.

The great prices are not the only advantage to thrift store shopping. One of the best things is the massive selection. Not only did this store carry many more times as many clothes as the small pricey stores do, but every single garment in the store is also different from one another. Every brand is represented there, including Anthropologie and Coldwater Creek, all in one quick stop. When I look at clothes in "regular" stores, only about 10% of what they sell passes my clothing standards, but at the thrift store I can just find the best from all stores in one big place. Especially in a nice part of town like this, the people who shop the expensive stores are not the type to sell their clothes at a yard sale after having worn them once. Instead, they drop it off at a thrift store like Savers, maybe even on their way back to the big-bucks store. Which is certainly to my advantage.

By the time we were done there it was high time for dinner, but I didn't want to eat out with the whole family. The kids had already had too much junk food and been out too long, but on the other hand I didn't feel like cooking or having a sandwich for dinner either. So, on the way home, we got some delicious Indian take-out for my husband and myself, and fed the kids leftovers from yesterday when we got home. We had chicken tikka masala with rice and naan bread on the side, papadums with a couple of different dipping sauces, and mango lassi. I absolutely love Indian food. Became addicted to it when I lived in Britain, but never found any good Indian food this side of the Atlantic until I discovered this particular Indian restaurant in Chandler. My husband said he wasn't hungry. Then he tried it and ate half my meal! Which was fine because it was way too much for one person to eat.

Did storytime as usual with the kids (we are still in the Little House series, and also reading "Heidi" right now), then they went to bed and my husband and I got to hang out together which we don't always get to do because he works so much.

A great day, and as usual, my best birthday yet.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! We have Savers over here and I love it to pieces! I bought 26 items for the kids for only $52 the other day and I found a really nice casual jacket for myself for $6. The best thing I like about Savers is that if the kids don't like or I don't think the style really suits me after all I donate it back and I don't feel like I've wasted my money. Are you able to find much second hand stuff for your boys? I can find masses of things in excellent condition for my girl but am hard pressed to find anything for my son which is a bit annoying

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your birthday was good! I love doughnuts but the closest Krispy Kreme to where I live is about an hour away, and I just don't have time to go that far for doughnuts.

    Believe it or not, I've never actually been to a thrift store, but if it's that inexpensive I might have to go check one out. Do you think I could find a decent pair of business trousers for a good price?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zsuzsanna, I laughed about the age difference comments that you get, because my husband does the same thing. I am three years older than him and he makes jokes to me all the time too! So I can totally relate to that :) Glad you had such a wonderful birthday, sounds like a lot of fun, and I LOVE the deals you got at Savers!! I too love thrift store shopping..above all because of the prices, but mostly because people today get rid of all their modest clothing, long skirts, and full dresses because no one wears that anymore...and then we get to buy them for SUPER cheap :)
    Have a great weekend!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. "2 years younger"?

    I'm still 28 for four more months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you fooled me. I thought 29!!! We so miss you guys too!!! I know we will see eachother again and how fun it will be!!! I am so glad you had a nice pampered day with your family. I know Pastor A is working lots of hours so what a treat!!!! Take care and tell everyone the Argons say hi!!!!

    jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family reminds me so much of my own when I was younger, it's scary!

    What a lovely outing :) I don't like mall shopping either. I get all of my clothes from this absolutely wonderful thrift store here in Houston called "Alamo Thrift Store." It's the size of a Kroger grocery store, all filled with beautiful clothes. They even have several wedding dresses there that are gorgeous, and I plan on shopping there for my wedding when it's my time. That's not too tacky, is it? lol :)

    God Bless,
    Stellar <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. love reading your blog and learning about your family. your children are beautiful...wondering how you feel about adoption? Have you heard of this legal case? www.bringperihome.com or www.bringperihome.blogspot.com

    I am an adoptive mom and love my son more than anything. However, I couldn't live with myself if I had done the things this couple has been accused of doing in order to gain the child.

    I think the bio-mom should be applauded for not giving up.

    MG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to reading your blog, so forgive me if you have posted about this before, I just haven't come across it. How do you handle and/or explain to your children the racist terms and derogetory depiction of Native Americans in The Little House books? I read the series a few years ago, before I was a parent and wondered how people would talk to their kids about it, and now that I'm a mom, I'm still wondering!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.