Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How is your hate life?

or: The love hate of God

It never ceases to amaze me how many so-called Christians think that God loves everybody. I can only attribute such ignorance to a complete lack of Bible reading. Please do not get all flustered and try to correct perceived wrong doctrines of others if you have never yet read through every single chapter of the Bible at least one time.

Yes, at some point, God has loved every single person that has ever lived, and yes, He does love the vast majority of people alive today. But there is a line that people can cross even before they die where God stops loving them, and starts hating them. Otherwise, the following verses are all incorrect. God sends unsaved people to hell every day, and I hardly think He does so out of love for them.

Our society would love to make hating (an emotion) a crime. It is impossible to love anything without also hating what would destroy that which we love. I love my kids, and I hate people that would like to violate them.

Don't just skip over these verses and pretend they do not exist. God is not Santa Claus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Psa 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
Psa 5:6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

Psa 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Psa 26:5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.

Psa 31:6 I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.

Psa 10:3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.

Psa 53:5 There were they in great fear, where no fear was: for God hath scattered the bones of him that encampeth against thee: thou hast put them to shame, because God hath despised them.

Lev 20:23 And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them.

Lev 26:30 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.

Deu 32:19 And when the LORD saw it, he abhorred them, because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters.

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pro 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pro 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Pro 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Pro 22:14 The mouth of strange women is a deep pit: he that is abhorred of the LORD shall fall therein.

Psa 139:21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
Psa 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

Zec 11:8 Three shepherds also I cut off in one month; and my soul loathed them, and their soul also abhorred me.

Hos 9:15 All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters.

Mal 1:2 I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob,
Mal 1:3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

Rom 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is just disturbing. I agree with you guys on a lot but this is so anti Bible. I know God isn't some hippie that's all about love, but he never oks hate. The verses you listed are not God talking. Yes God wrote the Bible but in most thoes verses David is talking not God. Just bc David hated doesn't me God condones it. David also lied, murdered and commeted adultery. God doesnt condone those things. I'm wondering why you did list the verse where it says if you even look at someone with hatred it is like murdering them in your heart. Why would God say that if he thought hating was ok? And I have been places where homosexuals have repented and asked Jesus in there heart and you try and say they are not saved? Which you have said in other post. The Bible says WHOSOEVER calles on the name of Lord SHALL be SAVED. Jesus said he didn't come to save the upright but sinners. You have such a unchristian know it all aitude. No wonder your church hasent grown much how does teaching on God hates help anyone in their Christian life and how does it bring sinners to Jesus? It will turn them away more than any thing. I hope you post this but you probly won't bc it makes you look bad or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I have made clear a number of times, I am not a Christian and these parts of the Bible are just one of the many reasons that I simply cannot and will not worship God. (Actually, I am a fully committed atheist, but that's a discussion for another time) Anyway, my point is that I have had many discussions with Christians and I have brought up some of these verses and I always, always get fobbed off and have some trite excuse brought out. I commend you for saying it like it is and acknowledging these parts of the Bible. I really wish that more Christians would actually read the Bible rather than relying on having someone else tell them what is in there
    I hope all that makes sense, I've been out in the hot sun and probably need a lie down LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, is it okay for us to hate people, or just God?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. Too many people have a weak view of God as some mushy all is love benefactor. God is first and foremost a HOLY God. Holiness requires justice and judgement, and that a line is drawn that none of us should cross. We have been gifted freewill, and for some that means causing God to hate them and punishing them accordingly.

    Thank you for standing for truth regardless of popular opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that God hates but he tells us to love and to bless.

    Romans 12:14-21 and Matthew 5:43-48

    My understanding is that God can justify his hatred because he is perfect whereas we cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been happier that I don't worship your god. He sounds fairly moody.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the Bible is clear on that. It's also clear on the greatest commandment Jesus gave to us - to love one another. YOU are not God - YOU don't get to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these verses are from the OLD testament, otherwise known as the Torah. As a CHRISTian... I follow the teachings of CHRIST... His NAME is in the title of what we call ourselves... The rest of the Bible is a reference point, the teachings of JESUS CHRIST, are what CHRISTians are supposed to follow. We aren't Jewish, and the Jewish God is a vengeful, thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matthew 5, 43f: Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your blog mostly for amusement...sometimes you post "normal", non-hate spewing posts that are worth reading ....some are just ridiculous. This one certainly falls in the ridiculous category. Sometimes I think you do it just to get a rise out of people...to stir the pot so to speak. For every verse you can find in the bible that says "God does hate" I'll bet someone else can find one about his "love of sinner, etc, etc". Spin it however you choose (it's your blog after all), but really?! really?! I only hope your children don't grow up to be such hate mongers. It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the first annonymous comment. I know you believe in God but I think your church, the sermons from your husband and even your soul winning outings are really so far away from how God wants it all to be done. You come across on your blog as very cold and unloving people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reminded of Anne Lamott, who says you can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out God hates all the same people you do...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there anything that you and your husband DON'T hate? I mean, I've got things I hate (we all do), but it seems like the two of you hate 99% of everything that comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. While there are passages in the Old Testament that talk a lot abour God's judgement and wrath, we as Christians are under the New Testament, the new covenant with Jesus. And Jesus speaks love, rather than hate. That doesn't mean that He loves everything we do (and indeed He does hate sin), but (as parent) He does love us unconditionally.

    I'm not sure if you use these verses as to why it would be okay for Christians to hate other people or if you are just trying to stir people up, but you do have strange views of God....

    ReplyDelete
  16. For those who think we should only follow the NT...can I challenge you with a project? Go to the thrift store, find a $0.50 Bible, open to the NT and start blacklining (CIA-classified style) through all the verses that pertain to the OT in any way (prophecies, quotes, history, etc). You will lose the VAST majority of your NT.

    The fact is, there is no way to understand and believe the NT without first understanding and believing the OT.

    Oh yea, and the NT doesn't start where the publishers say (Matthew 1). It starts were JESUS said it does.

    Malachi 3:6
    "For I am the LORD, I change not"

    There is NO God of the OT separate from the God of the NT...that is unless you throw that verse out too since it's in the OT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Regarding Jacob and Esau, the Hebrew word "sane" was used. Sane was a common Hebrew idiom used in biblical times, and was used throughout the bible. It simply means to love less. Sane was a word that had a definition of degrees. Example-You love going to the mountains, but you love going to the ocean more. In biblical times, you would use the word sane to say that. The word sane is also used in the book of Matthew when Jesus says that whomever loves his mother more than Him, is not worthy of Him.

    I could go through each verse that was posted and explain in detail, but I will close by saying that anyone who wants to really know the bible needs to study it. Not memorize it, Google it, or listen to a minister who doesn't have a degree. Not that I have anything against ministers who do not have degrees. Some of them are Spirit filled and make wonderful preachers. But for bible studying, one really does need knowledgeable people guiding them. Those who are serious about wanting to know the bible can also take classes taught by teachers who are familiar with Hebrew. God Bless,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's funny that you mention a hatred of Esau. There are some interpretations of the bible that claim that Jacob wrestled with Esau in the night, not YHVH.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Clearly here you misunderstand those verses, and your hermeneutical approach to scripture is very misguided. When evangelicals are trying to ascertain the nature of God they must understand that the nature of God is clearly shown in the scriptures because the life of God is told in the Gospels. Jesus is fully God and fully human thus the attributes and character of God are fully present in Jesus. Jesus’ nature is God’s nature and so the life of Christ needs to be the hermeneutical lens that a person uses to interpret the Old Testament. If you notice in every verse you quote sins are attributed to the supposed “hating” of individuals. It is the sin of the individual that God “hates” and not their inherent worth as human-beings. God still loves them and wants them to be reconciled with Him even though He currently hates the way you are behaving. God’s contempt for humanity’s sin is due to his love. Sin destroys the person’s relationship with God and the person’s relationship with others thus destroying the person. God wants to rectify our relationship with him through our faith in Jesus Christ. God loves us and wants the best for us so he hates it when we sin, but our sin does not mean he loves us any less. For all the time your church spends calling great christians like Billy Graham, John Wesley, Martin Luther, and John Calvin heretics, you and your husband are teetering on the edge of the ACTUAL heresy of subordinationism, which is the belief that Jesus' nature was either lesser or different than the nature of the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why is every verse you quoted from the OT, aside from one in Romans, which is only repeating something from the OT?
    Seems you are Pre-Jesus in your thinking...?

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.