Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

I wish I had time to list even just some of the things I am grateful for this year. Most of all, of course, I thank God for my husband and children, and for the health, safety, and wellbeing of us all. And I am thankful that the kids are all still young and home for all the holidays!

Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed day with your loved ones.

"And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God." - Ecclesiastes 3:13

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
- James 1:17


"Yet setteth he the poor on high from affliction, and maketh him families like a flock."
-
Psalm 107:41

"God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land."
-
Psalm 68:6

Miriam, my beautiful daughter and enthusiastic kitchen helper, made apple pie with me last week. Can you guess which one is hers and which one is mine? She thought the apples were added after the crust was baked, and was a little disappointed when she realized her mistake. Becky and the boys were happy to eat her "lattice top" though, so she was happy with it after all.

4 comments:

  1. HOpe you all had a blessed Thanksgiving.Tell everyone hi from us all!!!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog and though it was cute. What a cute family.

    Blessings

    The Determans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever celebrate Thanksgiving with extended family? Your husband's parents and/or sister?

    Your pie is beautiful and I'm sure it was delicious and didn't last long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    my husband's family lives in Northern California and in Texas, both of which is 12+ hours of driving. It would mean a minimum of 2 days on the road in either direction, something I don't want to do with five kids. Plus, my husband never misses a church service on Sundays and Wednesdays, so if we went somewhere for Thanksgiving we would have to leave on Friday for him to be home in time to preach on Sunday.

    Flying would be an option, although it would be so expensive it would only be feasible rarely. Unfortunately, my husband's parents divorced a few years ago after over 30 years of marriage, and frankly, I don't think holidays will ever be the same again. It's just weird celebrating with one half of the parents at a time when you are used to them both being there. I only was part of their Thanksgiving for the first few years of our marriage, before we moved out of state, and even I feel awkward about the idea. I'm sure it is much more disappointing to my husband.

    My family all lives in Europe, where Thanksgiving is not celebrated.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.