Saturday, June 20, 2009

A New Table

A few weeks ago, we bought a new dining room table. The one we had until then was free off craigslist. It was really nice, an antique actually, but with the kind of heavy-duty use our kids were putting it through we were down to two chairs and a very wobbly table. Wobbly oak tables are not exactly safe for little kids to crawl under. We also had a third chair with a broken seat that we kept just to play pranks on our guests, but we didn't use it ourselves so I'm not counting it.

Just kidding about the guests, of course.

We don't really have a dining room because it has been taken over by shelves full of books, games, and other educational materials. Not to mention a huge chalk board that takes up one entire wall of this "school room". So whatever I bought had to both fit into the room reasonably well, while having enough seats for our growing family. And it had to be sturdy and comfortable enough for the kids to do their school work at every day.

I decided on a square, counter height table that seats 8. It only came with 6 chairs, though, and since that's all we need for now I didn't feel like shelling out more money for two more. The square shape works very well with our square room. The counter height makes it easy to walk around and check the kids' work without having to bend over them. And the black stain hides any and all sharpie marks. Yes, that is a factor to be considered.

For our first meal at the new table, we had ice-cream sundaes. See the cluttered, messy desk in the background? I photoshopped that in just to not make other moms feel inadequate.



The lady on the right is our friend Amanda. She absolutely loves doing laundry and mopping floors, so (being the generous soul that I am) I invited her over that night to let her help me with it. It's the kind of friend I am, always looking to give others what they like.


Miriam ate vanilla ice cream with spoonfuls of pink sprinkles. Minus the ice cream.


Do you like my ice-cream lazy Susan? I found it on clearance and thought it was too cute to pass up. Wonder how long before one of the kids breaks one of the ceramic bowls.


Here is a picture of the kids playing learning games before bed one night.



For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.
Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.

Psalms 128:2-4

7 comments:

  1. When you go to get more chairs later, you might consider getting a bench. Our table has four chairs and a bench, and the bench can seat several small children.

    Raani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsuzsanna,

    You remind me of a mother warrior in actress Jenny McCarthy's 'Mother Warrior' book...you do it all for your kids...you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice table and you had me there with you "broken chair to play pranks on guests" comment:):):):):) I was like what on Earth???...then I read the next line:):):):) HA HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, children can be hard or rough on dining tables. One of my friends bought a new one last year. I gave one of our three dining tables to an ex-girlfriend who moved into an apartment and needed one. Our second one was inherited from my grandparents and is still used for formal and/or holiday meals, and in between those, for sorting and stacking papers. Our third dining table I inherited from my other grandma. Our family is hard on it and It needs to be refinished and the chairs repaired. Where did you find and buy your new black dining table? You're a shrewd shopper.
    kinley2

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post Zsuzanna! I love how you said how you wonder when the icecream thing will break. Hehehe. I am soooooo with you there. It is a miracle if we get through one day with out a broken item. We have still been listening to Pastor A's sermons. They have truly changed our lives since we started them and we continually enjoy them. Oh and we are talking of coming to visit. We would really like to. Just need to know good times and hotels and more info if we can. Well this has turned in to an e-comment :) You have a great family. Blessings.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the Ice Cream Lazy Susan, that is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raani,

    I was thinking about getting a bench, but I don't think it would be safe at this point. The kids would fall off the back and hit their head in the tile. Been there, done that (at restaurants).

    Tereza,

    Glad you liked my silly joke :)

    Jessica,

    that's great that you enjoy the sermons. I too learn a lot at every service.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.