Thursday, April 30, 2009

Getting big

Rebecca is just over 6 months old now. She is in that in-between stage where she cannot get around on her own yet, but is also not content to just sit in a swing or bouncy chair. I end up carrying her around with me on my hip much of the day. She also likes to sit and watch me work in the kitchen from her highchair.

This week, I bought her a little Johnny-jump-up to keep her both entertained and moving around, and so far she likes it a lot.






Our only other child who really loved it was Johnny (aptly so named, I guess). Of all the children, we think that Rebecca looks the most like John did as a baby. What do you think? Wow, I forgot how chubby he was! From momma's milk only for him at that point (7 months old).


And, one month later, at age 8 months, he discovered that his favorite food bar none was watermelon. Things haven't changed much for him in that respect.




Speaking of which... Rebecca is just starting "solids". I like to skip the baby food stage altogether and instead wait until the baby starts trying to grab my food out of my hands while I eat, at which point I give them "table foods" - sort of. Becca has reached that milestone, and boy, is she ever eager to get my food!! So far, I think she is more curious than hungry, as she maybe eats about a tablespoon of solids per day. Her regular foods include mashed banana, mashed avocado, applesauce, noodles & sauce, mashed potatoes, some cereal, plain yogurt, and of course bread/pizza crusts. Plus a few licks of ice-cream here and there, and a crumb of this or that. She is also learning how to drink water straight from a cup, a skill I would like for her to have before we get into 110+ degrees every day for months.

Of course, being the independent woman that she is, she insists on holding her own spoon. I find it unnerving not only because I don't like to change her outfit after she is done (none of our kids has ever put up with bibs), but I also worry about her shoving the spoon into the back of her throat. She was doing good, though.






Rebecca is a very sweet and easy-going baby. She literally smiles all day long. Her cheeks are just begging to be kissed again and again, and I love squeezing her chubby little legs. And she still has that heavenly baby smell... hmmm!

I will never understand why some people (well, most, actually) wouldn't want to have as many children as possible. To me, they are my favorite people in the whole world.

10 comments:

  1. What an adorable baby she is! I cant wait to have kids soon. My whole family says I will be a great father. Once I get our house in acceptable condition (its oooold) then we will start growing our family. Hopefully within the next year.

    I agree. Children are the best people in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is precious and so cute. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog about nursing. It helps to have encouragement. You are a good mom and I am so glad to see you enjoying your job!! :)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is precious! As for people wanting children, I have no idea. I am expecting our 6th and people act like we are freaks. Then again, I live in the NYC area, so the average family here is only 2. Depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 2nd picture of John looks SOOOOO much like his Dad...really cute kids.

    On a side note, some of us don't have the patience of steel that you must have to raise 5 kids (and more) .......just being honest. I do want children...but having as many as my body would produce makes me shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very very sweet!!
    I love babies too...a lot!..Obviously:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and jolly jumpers are a great investment for any mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. she's such a cutie! you are blessed with beautiful children! I can't wait till I get married and have kids. I think they are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have kids, but I'm going to be a lawyer and I'll be too busy :( Plus I'm not married, so that could be a problem.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.