Thursday, February 5, 2009

What do you think?

For some time now, I have been toying with the idea of giving my blog a facelift. My main goal was being able to better categorize posts for easier website navigation. Only problem is, I have no clue how to make a fancy website that contains a blog.
With much help from my husband, I came up with this. Well, he did all the work, but it was my ideas that got him started.
The main benefit of the new layout would be that it categorizes posts by topic. I am not done categorizing the old posts, so many of them are not on the tab that they are supposed to be on -yet. One disadvantage, however, is that the widgets in the sidebar are much more limited than on Blogger. For example, the blogroll is not updated based on most recent posts. Also, comments left on my previous posts do not have a backlink, but will have one for new comments left on that blog directly if the person commenting choses to enter their URL.
Please tell me what you think of it - do you prefer the old blog (the one you are looking at right now) or the new version? Right now, I am undecided on whether to stick with this one or make the switch.

10 comments:

  1. I actually like combinations of both. I think the header with links to elsewhere on your new blog is quite good. I don't tend to read blogrolls etc so they don't concern me. The thing I really hate about the new blog is the colour scheme: anything with a black background and bold colours is really difficult to read. But, this is something that can easily be changed in the html
    Is that a blog that your husband made himself? There are some really wonderful templates out there that you can utilise yourself. We have two blogs running for our kids and we have used templates for both, it's much easier than mucking around with html
    And, while I am here. Thanks for answering my questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whichever is easiest for you. But I will say, the blue letters on the black background are VERY hard on the eyes and give me a headache really quickly. How about a lighter background color?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black background text is much harder to read in my opinion. I also think the "old" blog looks a lot "cleaner" visually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the color scheme: white on black is really hard to read and gives me a headache. If your husband could come up with that, would he be able to modify an existing blogger template to include categories across the top?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this one but love the header on the other:)
    I think this one is categorized just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the way the pics in the new blog open up and link you to differnet pages, but that is about it. My first reaction was "Woah, my eyes hurt" lol. Sorry. Really cool header though.
    I got my template from www.cutestblogontheblock.com I like it so far.. maybe I'll upgrade one day. You can just give your blog that kind of a face lift if you want. :)
    Cheers
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am going to say that the new blog is VERY hard to read. I too like the header at the top.....black is just bad as a background. I also think the text needs something around it.....otherwise it just looks messy. i am fan of the current one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm... I just noticed, you already use "Cutest Blog on the Block". You'll have to forgive me, I have baby brains these days, lol (17 days to go).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the new layout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm go along with everyone else, the new header is great, but I like this blog the best. Easier on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.