Sunday, February 22, 2009

Through the eyes of my son

Several months ago, Solomon asked to stay up after the other kids had gone to bed for the night because he wanted to make a special gift for me. He got out some modeling clay and worked and toiled for almost an hour. At the end of it all, he was close to tears because his project just would not turn out the way he had imagined it.

He was trying to make a miniature replica of me, and I think this is one of the sweetest gifts I have ever received. In fact, the only other thing I can think of that I have liked equally well is a matching necklace pendant and bracelet he made out of polymer clay for Mother's Day last year. My pink-dress-clad, winged, pixie-stick carrying image has been gracing my kitchen windowsill ever since, which means that I get to look at it many times every day. It always makes me smile. One day he will be a grown man, but I will still be able to remember that as a little boy, he thought of me as a fairy who could do anything.

4 comments:

  1. How true! My children have made me many things along the way. I treasure those things that were handmade over what they bought from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too! Right next to the caps for the cap gun!
    Sons are so wonderful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this story made me misty-eyed. So incredibly sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.