Friday, January 30, 2009

You wanted to know...

As promised, here is my first Q&A. Questions are listed in no particular order. I tried to list previously unanswered questions, but I'm sure I missed a lot of them. If you are still waiting for an answer, you can leave me another comment.


What's your current daily routine if you have one and how do you fit in homeschooling. I'm asking this because if I were to want to homeschool I have NO IDEA how I would fit that in there!!

Get up about 90 mins before I expect the kids to get up (usually around 5:30 to 6:30, depending on when I went to bed).

Get ready and dressed, read the Bible, start on housework (laundry, empty dishes)

Feed and dress kids as they wake up.

Once kids are all fed and ready, read Bible to them all, then do core subjects such as English, spelling, math, phonics, writing, reading. They work independently while I take turns helping them and keeping the housework going.

Run errands if we have any, or take the kids to the park.

Lunch

Clean lunch mess, reboot laundry, start dishwasher.

Little ones take a nap while the older ones do history, science, art etc.

Play/cook/do chores/run more errands until dinner.

Dinner

Get kids ready for bed, read to kids, lights out between 8 and 9.

"Pick up" and sweep house, do laundry and dishes.

Lay out kids' school work for next day and write what they need to do on the chalk board.

Sit down and RELAX (i.e. blog).

I usually end up doing school only 3 or 4 days per week, because the kids work ahead and get done sooner. We use the spare time for weekly field trips, going to the library or the park, or just for projects around the house.

As far as fitting in homeschooling, I find that it takes much less time than some think, but it DOES take time. And thought and planning (= mental drain). Since we only ever homeschooled, I had a chance to "grow" into it. I can imagine that if you were to start homeschooling all your kids at once, it would be an adjustment. But then again, if you are currently driving them to and from school and helping with homework, you are probably already spending more time on that than I am on teaching.



Did you always wear skirts and why?

No, I started about 7 years ago. I believe God is against unisex clothing and wants us to dress gender specific.

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.


I am also intruiged by the whole 'girls can only wear skirts' idea: I understand wanting to be modest and not expose oneself in skimpy outfits, but why not pants? Again, just wondering.

Please see previous question.


Can you explain being against short hair?

I am not against short hair, I am just against short hair on women. :)
1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. This covering is NOT talking about a veil, but rather hair, as the verses just below prove: 1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

You don't own a TV then?

No, we don't. We never watch any TV.


Why on earth are you eating ham for Christmas Dinner? If you follow all of God's words and His rules for living why do you choose not follow this one: Deuteronomy 14.8 Also the swine is unclean for you ..... you shall not eat their flesh

The dietary rules applied only to the nation of Israel, and were done away with in the New Testament, Jesus having fulfilled the law.

Acts 11:5-9 (5) I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me: (6) Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. (7) And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat. (8) But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth. (9) But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.


Although we are totally different types of parents, from different sides of the world, I was just wondering regarding your comment about your girls getting up early for their own families ..would you be supportive of your girls should they decide one day to become independant career woman instead of staying home to raise a family??? prehaps deciding not to have children at all??

No, I wouldn't be, but the choice would ultimately be theirs. I am not worried about them choosing such a lifestyle, though, as I will be teaching them that being a mother is the highest calling in life. Why would they want to settle for less? Why eat at McDonald's when you can have Filet Mignon?


Just wanted to thank you and Steven for providing such wonderful learning and encouragement for us over the net. Thank you for your latest post on rising early. I would love to hear more specifics of how you ménage your day with your children and homeschooling. Our eldest is 9 and youngest 9months with three in between. I am so eager to learn more as we also are homeschooling.

Thank you so much, I love comments like this one!


My question relates to the use of the King James version of the Bible. You seem quite adamant that this is the only correct version of the Bible, could you tell me a little more about that? This is not meant as a criticism or anything, I am genuinely interested as this is the first time I have heard this.

You can find more information on this issue here.


Did you want kids or a big family before you converted?

I have always wanted both.


Where do you store 23 boxes of Kleenex? LOL Sounds like a kindergarten classroom supply! haha

That's easy: in my laundry room, right next to the 3 cartons of laundry soap and warehouse size packages of paper towels and toilet paper. I am actually also drowning in the latter because I have been getting 4-packs of Cottonelle for free for months, thanks to the sales and coupons.


(I realize this last one wasn't intended as a serious question)

21 comments:

  1. I'd really like to know where you got that huge chalk board. I'd love to find one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless I'm going to church I usually don't wear skirts in the winter, mostly because I can't figure out what type of socks and shoes to wear. I wear them quite often in the summer as I don't wear socks, usually just sandals. My question... what do you wear for socks and shoes with skirts? I can't imagine you go about in hose and heels all day every day. So what do you wear? What type of shoes do you wear? Tights? Knee highs? Cotton? I promise I'm not making fun, this is a seroius question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second question. If Acts 11:5-9 applies to things such as eating ham, tithing (as I've seen your husband preaches against tithing), and shopping on the Sabbath, why does it not apply to things such as women wearing pants, short hair on women, and homosexuality? Again, serious question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,

    I bought the chalk board from a local public school district that used to sell off their surplus. I paid $1 for it. Retail value is over $300 plus very expensive shipping, so it was a bargain to say the least. It was in perfect shape, with no damage whatsoever, so I don't know why the school would have replaced it, but it's not like money is an object when it comes to government spending.

    They also used to sell student desks, chairs, bookcases, tables, etc for $1 each, but have stopped all that and instead sell all their surplus to auction houses now.

    WendyLou,

    No, I do not wear tights/hose but once or twice a year - yuck!

    Fortunately, the weather here is nice enough not to have to wear socks in the winter. I usually wear sandals that are closed-toe in the winter, with or without knee-high cotton socks. My skirts are all long. If I lived in a colder climate, I would wear tights that are all cotton (except for the little elastic that they have to add, but not polyester etc.) with closed shoes.

    I really don't like the skirt + tennis shoes look and try to reserve that for when I am actually going to do a lot of walking or going to participate in sports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are your children going to be bilingual? Do you speak to them in and teach them German?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for answering my question. Of course, it does bring up other questions LOL. When I read that passage, I see it as God saying that Peter can eat those animals and I read it as Peter only and only those animals ie the old laws still hold true for everyone else. And, does that mean all of the Old Testament doesn't hold true any more?
    I must confess that this is one of my biggest problems with the Bible: it seems so contradictory and very open to interpretation.
    One final question :D and not to do with religion this time (a subject, I find endlessly fascinating) what's with all the coupons? We don't have coupons here in Australia so a lot of your posts about shopping goes over my head. I understand that you are getting bargains but can't translate that to my own experience. We have 'specials' here eg 50c off for this week, buy two packets for $2 instead of $1.25 each. I must admit I love stocking up on specials LOL I would probably get addicted to your grocery game :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if your daughter's weren't called by God to marry or if he did not give them children....would you not support them in God's will for their life? I don't believe all women are called by God to stay home, even when they have children.

    I have a friend who has had a very ill husband who is not able to work. If she didn't work they would have no income or health insurance to cover his constant hospital stays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I wish I could find a deal like that!

    Just a note about the cold climate/ what to wear with skirts situation. It's very cold where I live and I usually wear leggings with socks and boots to cover up the socks. They're flat boots (not snow boots or anything) and they're actually the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. If it's not freezing, which it usually is, I wear sandals or ballet flats. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For WendyLou-
    Your comment really jumped out at me, because I used to have similar feelings. :) About 2 years ago I first heard a sermon on Dt. 22:5 and I was immediately convicted by it - I knew I should be wearing skirts and get rid of my pants. I went to the Goodwill the next day and prayed for God to help me find things to wear and I came out with armloads! The catch was that it was October at the time and I live in Virginia. Now, it's not frigid here all the time, all winter, but it's still pretty cold. And while God certainly tells women to wear skirts, He doesn't say what we can/should wear underneath. I don't have a lot of money and I certainly try to look as nice as I can every day, but I'm a big fan of layering. On really cold days (like we had last week), I have been know to wear long johns over thick socks, covered by a pair of sweat pants and then a skirt over top! I purposefully bought a couple skirts a size or 2 big so that I could do this. Not the most fashionable, but I am warm and I am following God's commands - so it works for me. On not-so-cold days I usually just wear a long jean or cordoroy skirt with tall/knee-high cotton socks underneath. It's honestly not as cold as you would think. Besides, how much time do you spend outside everyday in the winter anyway? Usually it's just from the house to the car and then the car to a building, so it's very manageable. I usually wear little black flats that I got from JCPenney's, though I have been known to sport the tennis shoes and skirt look too. :-P

    I think it really takes intentional commitment though. If you aren't committed to wearing skirts every day, then its going to be difficult to find those ways to stay warm and comfortable. If you tell yourself that you ARE going to do this and that you WILL find ways to wear skirts every day, then you will. But if you leave yourself an "out", most folks will take that every time.

    It IS more difficult - but people notice too. I have had SEVERAL people ask me, "You only ever wear skirts - why is that?" And they open the door to speak not only on modesty but on the Lord as well. Anyway, just my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One more thing - I also wear tights a lot under my skirts. They're GREAT for staying warm. But the last few weeks I've had to adjust because I'm 16 weeks pregnant and they just aren't fitting any more! I'll be glad when it gets warmer so I can stop trying to figure out how to layer enough to be warm under my skirts! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow lol!

    I think you're homeschool looks far better than the private christian school we work at :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WendyLou,

    my husband does NOT preach against tithing, I don't know where you heard him say that but it must have been a misunderstanding.

    Women not having short hair is in the NT (I Cor.) as is the death penalty for homosexuals (Rom. 1). Not wearing pants is not mentioned in the NT, but since God does command a clear visual distinction between men and women in regard to hair, He must obviously still care about the OT principle of gender separation.

    Tori,

    not as much as I should. I do teach them German, but I am not consistent enough. It's one of my major homeschooling shortfalls, but i hope to pick up the slack as the kids get older and show an avid interest themselves.

    Alice,

    food manufacturers in the States print up little booklets that are in the Sunday paper, and these booklets contain coupons. Coupons are basically like vouchers for certain products, for example: $.50 off Suave deodorant. The coupon has a bar code printed on it, which the cashier scans after scanning all the things I am buying, and it automatically deducts said amount off my total. Many grocery stores compete for customers, so they will offer to "double" or even "triple" the coupon. This means that the store will deduct twice or even three times the face value of the coupon out of their own money. Hence, if something is on sale, and my coupon is doubled or tripled, I end up getting the item for free or for cents on the dollar. It really is fun, but a lot of work, too.

    His Tender Mercies,

    our daughters have already been called by God:

    1Ti 5:14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.

    I do believe that all women are called by God to stay home. Circumstances like the one you described are extremely rare, as is evidenced by the fact that a few generations ago, virtually all women stayed home.

    Karen + Jochebed,

    Thank you for the great tips!

    Ashley,

    thanks, i love the school room, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for answering my coupon question! Now that I have a better understanding of how things work I would get addicted to that grocery game. We have masses of things in our cupboard because they were on special. I am especially terrible if my favourite chocolate biscuits are on special because I *have* to buy lots, can't miss a bargain :D
    On teaching them German I have seen schools where they don't have a separate foreign language class but teach one of the core curricula entirely in the foreign language. That might be an idea. Does your husband speak German? Maybe you could have nights where you speak only German.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, It's me again LOL. I meant to add this with my other comment, sorry. I read what your husband wrote about the KJ Bible
    "Somewhere on the face of the earth today, there must be a book that is 100% without error, the very words of God. God promised repeatedly throughout the Bible to preserve his word forever on the earth ....... But where is God’s word?'
    I truncated it because it was so long. But, it could be argued that this book does actually exist. Muslims believe that the Q'ran is the direct word of God given to Muhammad over a period of months (it might even be years) and that this is the final word of God. Obviously you disagree with this. Why? And, do you believe that the final word of God promised to you has been lost or do you believe that it is yet to come.
    Sorry for asking such knotty questions!

    ReplyDelete
  15. To Karen, and anyone else looking for a chalkboard: there is a chalkboard paint...it comes in a bucket just like regular paint. You can make a border around it if you'd like to make it look pretty, but otherwise you just paint it on any wall surface. Once it dries, you use chalk on it like a regular chalkboard. I don't know how much it costs, but I do know a very good friend of mine did this on part of her kitchen wall, and it works very well. She used fabric to create a border.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy reading your blog. I just started a few weeks ago. I must thank you for your post One Step Too Far. I was actually looking for a battery powered nose sucker thing. My baby has RSV and I couldn't bring him home from the hospital for a few days because I didn't have a suction good enough to clear him out so he could eat and not choke. He is much better but this might be a nifty thing to have around, and it could save me an hour trip to the hospital. Thanks for your post. And your children are soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, new here. I hope I don't get deleted for disagreeing...

    I think you're taking the Romans 1 verse out of context. Every person on the planet deserves death, not just homosexuals. The chapter also references arrogance, boastfulness, disobeying parents, etc... stuff that we have ALL done.

    Also of note is the next chapter, Romans 2. It starts out like this: "Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things."

    You certainly do not believe that homosexuals should be put to death, do you?

    You may not be a homosexual, but I surely hope you do not think that you are perfect enough to avoid death the way that Christ did? Christ died and rose from the dead to save us all from your sins, the very sins (however minute) that have condemned every person to death.

    Romans 6:23: "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

    For the wages of sin is death. It doesn't say just homosexuality, it says sin, all encompassing. And that includes everybody (myself especially) I'm afraid. Do you not agree?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a question for you or your husband.
    I do agree about the KJV. I have a friend who is Messianic Jew and she believes that Paul's and Peter's letters shouldn't be in the KJV. They were't in the original translation and were added later by the catholic church. Just wondering if you have any thoughts on that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You said that "I do believe that all women are called by God to stay home". What is your opinion of female nurses, doctors and aides? They're working women and are very much needed. Desperately needed in many cases.

    Is taking care of the sick and the dying "eating McDonalds"? Are they going against God's will?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alice,

    yes, I do have teaching materials for all sorts of subjects in German, and try to incorporate that. I think the main problem right now is that our kids THINK they don't speak it well, hence they don't. We really should switch to a "German only at home" policy (my husband is fluent) but we are not consistent with it. It's hard enough talking sense into them in one language, I guess. :)

    We believe that the Bible (as opposed to the Koran or another book) is God's word by faith. But of course, once you read it cover-to-cover, it really stands for itself. You do not have to first look at every cubic zirconia to be able to spot a diamond.

    Pascha,

    Thanks for the great tip. I have even read about someone who first applied a coat of magnetic paint, and then pained with chalkboard paint.

    Cherishing Young Biblical Womanhood,

    I guess there's a time and a place for some of these things. Sorry to hear your baby has health issues, hope he gets well soon.

    redison,

    you must think that all sins are equal, but that is not true. Hence, there are different punishments (see the OT laws). Yes, I do think that we should have the death penalty on sodomy, as well as on murder, adultery, and a few other things that the Bible says.

    You can disagree with me, but I will not post anything else on this subject. I believe what I believe for a reason, and it tires me to constantly have people challenging it.

    Stefanie,

    your friend is wrong, they were in the original printing. In fact, we have an exact reprint of the original edition, and it's in there.

    Crow Jane,

    I do think we should have female doctors and nurses, in fact, I wish that's all women would ever see. I see a female midwife when I am pregnant.

    However, you are forgetting that every person will never be saved, and that there will always be unsaved women who do not live by the Bible, and hence will seek a job/career instead of staying home. We do not need to disobey the Bible in order to have female doctors, because others always will.

    But just for grins, I do think that women who are either unmarried, or were never able to have children, or whose children have grown and left the house, could pursue being a doctor etc. if they can still fulfill their duties as a wife. Yes, there are not a lot of women who would qualify, but there are WAY too many doctors anyway.

    And no, I do not think that any working woman with children is taking care of them to the extent that she should.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks of the response. I understand your busy with children and all, and it must get a bit old to have people challenging your views, so I don't expect you to respond again...

    But I'd like to ask (rhetorically, I guess), if sodomites and murderers should be put to death, why ever did Jesus Christ abstain from stoning the prostitute? I'm not saying it makes any sense to me, cause that is a clear contradiction with the OT, but if we are to follow Jesus Christ and claim that we are following him, maybe we should mirror him and his actions?

    I don't know, just a few of my thoughts....

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.