Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pregnancy update

I was supposed to have a prenatal checkup this last Wednesday, but it was canceled at the last minute because my midwife, Connie, was called to a birth. Instead, we rescheduled for this afternoon. I am currently in my 36th week of pregnancy.

As I had suspected, the baby had turned into the right birth position after the chiropractic adjustment two weeks ago. Still, it was nice to have the midwife confirm this to me. The baby is also a lot lower now, and it is highly unlikely that it will change positions again. Everything else is going very well, too. My blood pressure is always very low (today was 98/63), I have no swelling or other complaints, and I am not too tired. Starting next week, I will have weekly checkups until the birth, but since Connie comes to the house for that it really is not an inconvenience for me at all. All the kids love being there for the prenatals, but Miriam is especially fascinated by them. She tries to imitate the midwife, and it is really funny.

It was also very nice to get to visit with the other midwife today, Marinah, who is flying up for my birth from Southern Mexico. She had to be in Arizona this last week on a business-related trip, so I got to see her while she was here. She was the midwife who attended Miriam's birth, along with Connie, who was her apprentice at the time. Back then, Marinah was living in Phoenix.

Three years ago, when we were thinking about where to start the church, the fact that there was such a good midwife in town actually played a role in our decision. It may seem trivial, but finding the right midwife can make a world of difference. It can be as hard as finding a good church in some areas of the country.

So I was very disappointed last year when I found out that Marinah was moving to Mexico, but after talking to her today it seems there might be a chance that she is moving back sometime in the not-too-distant future. That would be SO wonderful!

Anyway, my due date is Oct. 15th. Marinah will be in town Oct. 10-21. Please pray that the baby will be born during that time. Based on "past performance", I should be on target with those dates. Of course, if the baby comes earlier or later than that, I would still have Connie and another midwife at the birth, but it would be so wonderful if it was Marinah and Connie there.

5 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you. I want to know if your children will be there when you give birth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will be in the house the whole time, and they may be in the room that I am giving birth in during the earlier part of labor. For the sake of modesty, they will not be in the same room once things get more active. Immediately after the birth, the midwife covers me and the kids meet their new sibling.

    Obviously, modesty would not be an issue with my daughters, but I don't know if they would even be interested in being there (the boys certainly aren't!).

    The youngest baby usually is with me the most during labor because they are still very attached at that point. I let them play in the birth pool which makes them very sleepy. The older kids are happy to just be off in their room playing with new toys I get for the occasion ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe your baby is due in a month. Pregnancies always seem to go by so fast when you aren't the one who's pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birthing at home sounds wonderful. I talked with my husband and he likes the idea, too. There are no female ob/gyn’s at the hospital/clinic I use, but they did allow the VBAC, and I delivered with a midwife not the ob/gyn on duty at the time.
    I have looked up midwives in the phone book and on line. I found one for Farmington area and a few in neighboring towns. What do you look for in a midwife? How do you know when you found a good one? I have an appointment with a midwife at the hospital/clinic this Friday. Should I ask her about home birthing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well. I will praying for you and baby.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.