Thursday, June 5, 2008

Our last week of school!

Yippee, we're almost done! Tomorrow is our last school day for the 2007/08 year. These last two weeks have already been pretty slow and lazy and we have had lots of time to go swimming every day and to take it easy in general. We will be reading a few history and science books over the summer, as well as continuing our daily Bible reading and memorization, but will otherwise be off from school.

We are having food and treats after the morning service this Sunday for Isaac in honor of him graduating from kindergarten. He is mighty proud of himself and made sure at every service that everyone there got a bulletin with the announcement.

Our official start for the new school year is August 4. Solomon is going into 3rd grade, Isaac into 1st, and John is starting K4 (junior kindergarten). Having two young kids in school was a challenge, so I am a bit nervous about having 3 in all different grades, while also having a toddler and a newborn to take care of.

I am 99% done purchasing next year's curriculum, which is a combination of BJU Press and A Beka. Most of it I was able to buy used on eBay and at a home school resale store in town (where I had lots of store credit for trading in old books). The few items that I haven't been able to get used I had to purchase new at a couple of book displays in town. In all, I think I paid about 40% of the list price on everything. My plan for next year is to sell things on eBay throughout the year and to build up my paypal account, and to then turn around and use that money to buy the new materials I need. Many times, I find things at the thrift store for very cheap that I don't need or already have, but that I know I can sell for 4 or 5 times as much on eBay.

I have also been very busy working on next year's lesson plans. Because all three boys are in separate grades (2 grade levels between each) it's a little tricky planning it out in a way that my workload will be similar on all days. But it's also fun and exciting. As much as I am glad to be done with this year, I am also very much looking forward to starting the next.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be interested to hear more about what you'll be doing with your K4 student and how you arrived at your curriculum choice(s). I have one of those and am kind of at a loss. It's my first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, nevermind, I just found an older post where you list a lot of curriculum. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.