Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My citizenship appointment

All went well at my appointment, and I passed both the civics as well as the English test. The oral civics tests involved a few easy questions such as "What to we celebrate on July 4?". For the English test, I had to read one sentence ("This is a very happy family.") and write "She cooks dinner for her friends." Unbelievable as it may seem, about 30% of people fail the test on their first try, and 20% of those fail their second test as well (at which time their application is rejected). I can see why, though. There were many people there who did not even speak any English AT ALL. They were feverishly trying to memorize the list of 100+ possible civics test questions, as well as the answers to them.

This immigration office was actually a different one than the one I have been going to, and all the staff was very friendly. Out of about 30 agents, my case was handled by the exact person that would have been my first choice if I got to pick.

I should be scheduled for the official citizenship ceremony in about 5 or 6 weeks. The agent thought I had a good chance of it being on July 4th, when they always have a big special event with lots of new citizens being sworn in.

Now it is almost 10 PM and I still have several hours of housework and cleaning to do because I spent my morning downtown and had to use the afternoon to teach the kids and run errands. We also went to an A Beka books display to order some books we needed for the next year (they take 4-6 weeks to ship and the next display wasn't for another month, which would have been too late because we are starting August 4). I am SOOO tired but I just hate to wake up to a sink full of dirty dishes, cluttered counters, dirty floors and mounds of laundry. Then I also bought 6 lbs of strawberries that were just delicious and perfect for making jelly. I should really do that tonight while the strawberries are at the peak of ripeness before they start to bruise or go bad.

Thank you if you prayed for my appointment!

1 comment:

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.