Friday, November 23, 2007

Our Thanksgiving

Without exaggeration, I can say that this has been the best Thanksgiving ever. Not that past years haven't been nice, but the more children we have and the older they are, the funner it gets. Every year I think it can't get any better, and then it does. Johnny was very funny walking around and telling everyone "Happy Thanksgiving!" over and over again all day long.

Here is a picture of Solomon and Daddy enjoying bacon and eggs for breakfast. Notice the dining room table in the background - it's loaded with my craft supplies for making everyone their advent calendars (3 down, 2 to go).


I started cooking at 9 AM, and we ate at 1:30 PM. It was all very leisurely, as evidenced by 3 of the 4 kids coming to the table in their pajamas.



This was Miriam's first Thanksgiving, and boy, did she LOVE the food! Especially the dessert of pumpkin pie with vanilla ice-cream and whipped cream. Her and Daddy shared three or four helpings of that. Johnny said he also loved the "popkin pie".

Feed me!


Thank you!


Here is a disclaimer about the next picture: My husband LOVES all natural ginger ale and root beer. They are, of course, 100% non-alcoholic, but you wouldn't know it looking at the bottle that they are sold in. I always advise him not to drink one when driving because he is bound to get pulled over one of these days. This was confirmed when I went to Trader Joe's on Wednesday to pick up some of these sodas and the lady at the checkout asked to see my ID. I looked at her completely puzzled, wondering why Trader Joe's asks for ID to shop there, until she realized I wasn't buying booze. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that. :)


After we all had too much to eat, my husband played with the kids while I put the lights on the tree that we just HAD to decorate on Thanksgiving. The kids have been asking practically every day this month if it was time to put the tree up yet, and about 5 times a day this week. I was going to get a real tree this year until I found out that no place started selling them until after Thanksgiving. I figured it would be funner to decorate a fake tree with Daddy there and lots of time rather than waiting another week and doing it by ourselves, so we went out Wednesday afternoon and bought one. As promised to Solomon, it is so tall it almost touches the ceiling. I let the kids talk me into putting colored lights on it. I prefer white, but as a child I likewise loved the colored lights and didn't understand why my Mom didn't feel the same way about it (although she, too, would usually give in to putting up the colored lights). Once the lights were up, we all decorated the tree together, as well as also decorated much of the rest of the house.


This is a picture of the advent wreath on the dining room table. On each of the four Sundays leading up to Christmas, one more candle is lit, until all four candles are lit by Christmas. This year, we won't get to light the first candle until December 2nd.


So this morning, the house is decorated beautifully and everything smells like cinnamon. I can't wait for the kids to wake up and remember that the tree is up and needs to be lit. Then I will fix a special breakfast for me and three of them. My husband and Isaac left for California very early this morning, where they will be doing an emergency job and coming back tonight. Isaac was thrilled to be able to go to work with his Daddy all the way in California, something he has never done before. He was just beaming when they left this morning.

Yesterday, when it came to writing down what each of us were thankful for, I was very encouraged to have all the kids list both my husband and me, as well as all their siblings. They listed a lot of other funny and quirky things, too. Here is my list:

I am thankful for...

... being saved and knowing that God will take care of us no matter what.

... my husband, and each and every one of our children. I couldn't imagine life without any of them.

... the prospect of having many more children in the future.

... having only little kids that all still love to cuddle up to me.

... our daughter, who is a Daddy's girl through and through, but loves me as well and will grow up to be my best friend one day.

... my wonderful life as a stay-at-home mom.

... being able to go to a great church.

... our health.

... living in a free country, and for the people who have paid a great price and sacrificed to make and keep this country free.

... my husband's job that allows him to get ahead and afford as many children as we want to by working hard.

... never having to wonder if or what I will feed the kids.

... clean, fresh, cold water anytime in the middle of the desert. I actually miss our water when we are traveling, nothing else comes close to it in taste.

... a beautiful house that is so much more than just a roof over our heads.

... a reliable vehicle that never leaves me frustrated by the side of the road with four little ones in tow.

... being able to put presents under the tree for everyone in our family.

... and much more than I could list here. We have truly been blessed above measure. My only wish is that every day of my life could be as good as this.

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful! It's always great to remind yourself what to be thankful for in life. Sometimes we tend to forget.

    Love the pictures and the advent candles. I will do the same what a great idea! I never throught of doing that and the children will really get involved.

    We haven't put up our tree yet but homefully the first week of December we'll get the tree and put it up.

    God Bless you Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you all had a great Thanksgiving! I really enjoyed looking at the pictures. It looks like all of your children are better. I'm sure that it was very exciting to put up the Christmas tree with the kids. I liked multi colored lights on Christmas tree better when I was a kid too.

    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a nice thanksgiving. We went down to see my family for a few days. The house looks really festive and those root beer bottles are funny. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures this is a great new addition to your website
    :] Annette, Alexis, Austin, and Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.