Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Anderson Infirmary

Odd as it may seem, all the kids are sick AGAIN. This time they are all running a high fever, coughing terribly, and have a bad cold with sore throat, runny nose, and all. Even the poor little baby caught it and she is not doing too well unless I hold her. The older three are doing fairly well and are content to just lay on the living room sofas all day long with me there hanging out with them.

This is really strange because our kids rarely ever get sick, maybe once a year each or so. Twice in two weeks is not typical. The youngest three have never even been to a doctor once in their life, not because I am against doctors but because the kids have never been seriously ill. We don't take them in for checkups or vaccinations, both of which cause more harm than good. Of course, I didn't take them in this time either just to have someone tell me "Yes, they have a cold." and then ask for $120 per child to tell me that. Who knows what diseases the kids would have picked up in the waiting room.

I have been giving the kids half the recommended dosage of children's tylenol to keep the fever reasonably low and to alleviate their sore throats, which is something I usually don't like to do. Isaac even wanted to refuse that, assuring me at 104 degrees that he felt just fine, but I made him take it. I haven't given the baby anything. Her fever was lower, around 102 max, and if she still has it tomorrow I will start her on some homeopathic remedies.

I am not advocating neglecting your children's health at all. Quite the contrary, I think every parent should take responsibility for their child's health and educate themselves as much as possible in the medical field, rather than just blindly trusting their pediatrician. My guess is that I have read close to 100 books on natural health and medicine since becoming pregnant with our first child. I also specialize in translating professional articles from medical journals, which gives me some really interesting insights into conventional medicine. I would have to say that really hasn't helped build my confidence in the medical field! :)

My favorite book on natural health for children (and the whole family) is "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children" by Aviva Jill Romm. This lady is not a Christian so obviously I have objections to some of the things in the front of her book, but the A-Z guide to treating common illnesses is my most often used health reference. I have never tried a remedy in that book that didn't work. In the back the book gives a very good list of items for stocking an all-natural medicine cabinet and first aid kit. Putting that together is one of the many projects on my mental to-do list.

So anyway, this evening when the baby fell asleep I laid her down and went to run a bath for John. The older two also got in the tub before I noticed (they usually shower themselves) but I let them stay in because I hoped the hot steam would help clear them up. Well, one of them took something away from John, who started screaming loudly. He is not allowed to act like that but was emotional because of being ill. So the baby wakes up, and while I go to pick her up Isaac is yelling from the bathroom that Solomon's nose is bleeding. I go in to check and realize I need both hands, so I put the poor screaming girl in the Exersaucer so she would stay put in a safe place. Back in the bathroom, Solomon's nose is bleeding profusely, and I cannot even keep up with switching to clean tissues. While the bath water becomes a bloody mess, John is still screaming, Miriam is having a breakdown, and Isaac starts having a coughing fit and throwing up. I stand him in front of the toilet, where he is shaking and miserably cold but I can't leave to grab him a towel because Solomon's nose is still just gushing blood. Then the phone rings...

About a half hour later everyone was dressed, warm, and cared for, but it wasn't easy. My husband was out working. Solomon's nosebleed lingered for a long time and was one of the worst I have ever seen (and that is saying a lot because I get very bad nosebleeds when I am pregnant).

I have no idea how I am going to finish everyone's advent calendars before Saturday morning. And I don't even want to think about having to catch up with all the missed school work. But I'm sure it will all work out fine.

3 comments:

  1. I am praying for you all to get better. Maybe I should of prayed harder last week? lol My kids have been getting sick over here too. It started with Katy, then Karolina, then Chris , now Kass came and told me she is sick.

    It seems like it is the start of flu season or something. No fevers though.

    I know what you mean about trying to do stuff at home instead. I am all for natural remedy's myself and will have to check that book out.

    When my brother was a toddler and had a high fever my parents rushed him to an emergency room only to have them tell my parents to put him in a bath tub of warm water to help cool him down. So I do that with my kids when they need it.

    Don't stress about the school work! *hugz* You are a wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you. It's not easy when you have everyone in the house sick and plus when they are children. My older son suffered from nose bleeds up until he turned 5 and for some reason it just stopped. I also easily get nose bleeds for no reason.

    Hang in there! I have to take a picture of our Advent calendar too. It's not done yet... boy it's a lot of work LOL! But the kids are having a blast being creative with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if you took them to a doctor you would know what the problem was.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.