Friday, September 14, 2007

Miriam is 7 months old

When I was pregnant with Solomon, our first, I read somewhere that when you have children the days may seem long, but the years fly by. How true that is!

My little girl is 7 months old today. She is starting to crawl up on all fours (as opposed to scooting on her belly). She still can't sit very steady, though - I guess that's not as important as being able to get into stuff. She is also perfecting the pincer grasp, better known as "you-better-vacuum-several-times-a-day-or-else-I'll-eat-all-the-trash-
I-can-grab". Here is a picture of her asleep after a long day of running around.


We spent a couple of hours this morning waiting for the tires on the van to get checked out. I did my shopping in the meantime, so it wasn't too bad. This is the fourth or fifth time in the last month that I have had to take the van in because of the tires (two flats and two blowouts). This time the "low tire pressure" light kept coming on, but they could not find anything wrong when I had the van in last week to get it checked. I went back again this week because I don't want to drive all the way to California next week with the warning light on - something MUST be causing that. So they took all four tires off again, examined them all, and finally thought the valve on one of them might have a tiny tear and be leaking ever so slowly. They changed the valve, and the light has not come back on, so I think I'm set. All that for free - I love the tire service that comes with the Sam's Club membership. The guys down there all know me on a first name basis by now, though.

This afternoon we were at the church building for several hours while the new piano was being tuned. Somebody donated it to us last week, and it is absolutely beautiful and has been well taken care of, except it had not been tuned in a very long time. So today that was a lengthy process. I called up the first number in the phone book, and an elderly man in his 70s came out to do the service. After 47 years in business, he definitely knew what he was doing! We got to talking while he was tuning and he told me that his parents had emigrated from Russia to Alaska before he was born, in the late 1920s. They were Armenian and were fleeing Russia because the Turkish (Muslims) were persecuting and killing the Armenians (Orthodox). He told me that after his father emigrated first, the Russians would not let his mother go for another 12 years. During that time, she was facing severe persecution. On one occasion, she was one of only 4 people who survived after their entire village was slaughtered, including her baby. They escaped by hiding in the pit under the outhouse, up to their chest in mire, for several days. She was crippled for life from this incident since the temperatures at night were below freezing and it damaged her hip joints. His father's brother was also killed by the Turkish. This old man told me that people in America today do not understand or appreciate how good we have it, and how precious our freedom is. He also told me that he was certain that persecution would arise very soon in this country, and that he believed the attacks on September 11 were only a foreshadowing of that.

He told me many more sad stories from his long life. How his Dad died working in a gold mine when he was only 2 1/2 years old. His only memory of that event was his mother begging his father in the morning not to go to work because she had dreamed that he was going to die, like many men had that year. He never did come back that day. How both his sister and brother died early from smoking. How his only child, a girl that him and his wife had adopted from the Alaskan Indians when she was 1, drank herself to death. Her biological mother had been an alcoholic herself, and drank throughout pregnancy, which was probably her downfall. Now that he is old, all his friends and family have died, and only him and his wife are left.

I asked him if he knew for sure that if he were to die he would go to heaven, and was thrilled to learn that he did because he believed "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9) To think that this life is the best that most people will ever know is very sad.

"And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,"
Ephesians 6:19

1 comment:

  1. Jasmine's Journey said...

    I think about that all the time, how fortunate we are to live in America. I just pray we can all stay safe here.
    October 22, 2007 11:30 AM

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.